I wanted to touch a bit more on the subject I glazed over last week. It’s almost time to comfortably give up those New Years Resolutions, so I just wanted to get in one more jab before they go! Early January, I wrote myself out about 15 objectives for January, figuring I’d have plenty of time. I mean I have all these days where I’m not working, I just have to do some work for 2-3 hours a day right, no prob. Aw dang, I forgot I was going to be sick this week! Texas, my love for you…well I don’t love you but come on, call off the trees! Allergies are crazy in the winter. I also forgot all the days my wife or child would want to spend time together, “family time” they called it. Pah! I have goals to attain!
I think it’s pretty easy to work out the sarcasm in that last sentence – of course the moment my 4 year old tells me to play Minecraft with him, I’m all over it. Wife wants to go watch a movie? Well don’t twist my arm here sheesh, I’ll probably have to eat milkshakes or something too. You see where this is going. Setting up minor monthly goals I think is a good idea, but it’s probably more attainable to reach for the quarters after all. Yearly quarters, that is – 3 month blocks where I have all this time to goof off and then hastily do everything I planned in the last weekend. So far this seems to be the way to go – I’ve accomplished probably about a third of my original plan, but I could definitely expand this instead of giving up halfway there just because I feel like I’ll fail anyway. Besides, things are better in bulk – that’s why Cosco is a thing. So Let’s jot down a few too many goals for January – March and see how many we can do.
* Clean out the car I haven’t driven for 2 years (Spiders everywhere!)
* Figure out what the heck is in those bags against the wall in the garage. I’m sure they’re housing spiders.
* Finish at least outlining the map of a world I’ve been worldbuilding. Seriously I started in November.
* Name the countries in the map after I finally finish it
* Write a short story – how can I have a hobby editing stories if I never practice
* Make some progress on a not-short story. Let’s say, finishing the outline.
* Build something amazing from these K’nex. The 4 year old they belong to can help
* Watch a movie with my wife something like once a week or once biweekly. She loves movies, I hate em. Sacrifices must be made.
* Put up a blog every Wednesday!
* Memorize at least 2 new kanji a week (I pretend to study Japanese a lot, I’ve had to have picked up something)
* Don’t write blog posts while being sick. Let’s put a tentative on this one
Eleven points for roughly eleven weeks, I can totally do that! I’ll probably have to take off that last week in March from work though.