Tina here. I am excited to announce to you all that Kris and I will be moving our blog/talk time to Fridays. Because of this very sudden change, Kris suggested I write a short story but I would rather share an amazing site with you and task you to try some prompts yourself, or tell me which one you might like to see expanded!
The Site: plot-generator.org.uk
1. You’re about to embark on a dangerous mission. Write a letter to your loved ones for them to open if you don’t make it.
2. Imagine you’re a wolf for a day. How would you spend your time?
3. Think of a wish. Now imagine the granting of the wish has unexpected consequences.
4. Take the names of the songs on your favourite albums. What if they were chapter headings?
5. You find a hard-boiled egg by the side of the road. How did it get there?
6. Think of the person you’d least like to spend time with. Imagine you’re trapped in a drain and he/she is the only one who can help.
7. Think of your favourite place by the coast. Describe the scene if the sea level were 10 metres higher.
8. You wake up in the wrong body. Whose body are you in and why?
9. Ask your parents how they met. In what way would their first meeting have been different if your dad had had a parrot on his shoulder?
10. Look at the last message you sent. What would have happened if you’d accidentally sent it to your mum?
11. What was the last thing you lost that never turned up? Write a story describing something that may have happened to it.
12. Would you ever license a robot version of yourself?
13. You find a letter from your grandfather that was never sent. Why not?
14. Imagine you can travel back in time to give yourself one piece of advice. What would it be?
15. Think of a child in your life. Write a page designed to make him/her fall on the floor with laughter.
16. Think about the more prudish person you know. Now sit him/her next to somebody behaving inappropriately on a train.
17. What is the least convenient personal habit for a detective? Write about that detective.
18. Look into your family tree. Is there somebody who moved away? Make up an explanation.
19. Think of somebody younger than you – a brother, sister or friend. Imagine he/she wants to become your superhero sidekick. How would he/her try to impress you?
20. You pick up somebody else’s coat accidentally. Something in the pocket makes you suspect the owner of supernatural talents.